Tuesday 12 August 2014

Art Journal Page - "Shining Souls"


This Art Journal page is inspired by the 100 year Anniversary of the beginning of WW1 which is being commemorated throughout Europe.

I used two of the stamps from a set by Chocolate Baroque called Punky Flowers. I stamped onto light weight card several times and then coloured the flowers with Inktense Blocks used as water colours. Once dried, I fussy cut out each flower and covered the light bulbs with glossy accents to look like glass. I used a black Faber Castell Pitt pen to re-enhance all the stamp lines and a silver gel pen to colour the metal elements at the bottom of the light bulbs and the bottoms of each flower. The stems and leaves were painted with two different shades of green.

The background was a piece of light weight chipboard which I first painted with white Gesso and then a coat of Paper Artsy Fresco Finish Paint in Beach Hut. Using a script stamp and Aquamarine Archival Ink by Ranger I stamped across the entire image. On top of this I then used white colorbox ink and a cross hatch stamp by Jofy randomly to create visual texture.

The flowers were glued into place using Claudene Helmuth Matt Medium. Some were cut apart and slotted behind other flowers to achieve the layout design I was looking for. I added some alcohol ink pen around the bulbs in yellow and then went over this again with a wash of yellowInktense block to add a glow. I added white highlights to each bulb then outlined each flower with a dark grey Spectrum Noir marker pen . The sentiment was typed and printed on my computer. Cut apart and adhered into place with Matt Medium. I then added the small white plaque to explain the meaning of the piece.  I matted the page onto yellow, then black card.


I created a step-by-step YouTube video of the creation of this page which you can watch below.

No comments:

Post a Comment