Friday 31 October 2014

ALTERED BOX


I had a gift to send to a friend so decided to alter a box to send with it . I wanted it to be pretty but at the same time grungy if that makes sense to you. I also wanted to experiment with some new supplies.




I was very happy with the outcome and below I explain more of the process and the supplies I've used.

The box was originally brown kraft coloured so the first thing I did was painted it inside and out with white Gesso.
Once dry, I stenciled on the lid with a baroque design using white modeling paste. On the sides of the box and the bottom I stenciled through the "Art Is" stencil by Crafters Workshop. This was left over night to dry out completely.

For the colour, firstly I used Delphinium Turqoise Starburst Spray by Lindy's Stamp Gang but rather than spraying I applied it with a brush for more control. While still wet, I  carefully sprinkled on a minute amount of Bister in Blue in various places and encouraged this to run around the stenciling with a brush. (Available from Art Journey.nl).This gave a fantastic effect with the shiny turquoise interleaved with the darker blue/black of the Bister. (Remember a tiny amount goes a very long way and the colour is very intense).

I dried everything then used Inka Gold wax paste in Steel Blue and Silver to add areas of extra sheen and to highlight the stenciling. (You need to buff it with a dry cloth to really bring out the shine).

I mixed some clear glass micro beads with some Gel Medium and some of the Lindy's stamp gang spray in a small pot and added it to the box lid in random places. This added extra texture and interest.

For decoration I added Cheese Cloth, silver leaves and white flowers which I'd painted the centers blue to co-ordinate.

The inside of the box was lined with a paper napkin which had a lovely sentiment.














As it was her birthday I included a card which I cut with my ScanNcut machine after making the design in their Canvas Software programme.

ScanNcut have included a new feature update into Canvas, where you can now add a dotted score line to your cuts. This can also be designated as a draw line so I was able to replace my blade with one of their special pens and create faux stitching around my patterned paper. Super fun and a very useful addition. So pat on the head to ScanNcut.

I hope you like my box and below is a YouTube video showing me creating this step-by-step.


2 comments:

  1. Your altered box is an Absolutely Outstanding piece of Art! Every part is so creative, inspired & grungelicious beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much Caroline. I appreciate your support. Hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete